Apply to run your creative project
Guidance for applicants
Apply for £500 and support from Grow Wild to get creative with other people where you study, work or relax. Perform or transform anywhere in the UK.
We’ve made applying quick and easy. You have until 1pm on Monday 30th March. If you have questions or would like to talk through ideas, please get in touch! Have a chat with Chloe (Mon-Fri). Call 020 8332 3759 or 07826 873 421 or email [email protected].
What’s it all about?
Our incredible UK native plants and fungi.
Not only are they colourful and amazingly varied, they’re really important to our lives and the natural world. They provide food and shelter for pollinators, contribute to medicine and have even inspired magical myths and legends! Find out more on our wildflower and fungi pages.
We’d like you to come up with a creative idea to celebrate and share why UK native plants and fungi are so special. You are free to decide how you want to do this – it really is up to you!
You’ll join Grow Wild - the national outreach learning initiative of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
We’re supported by the National Lottery Community Fund and through private donors and
Tell me more…
We’ll give you £500 to fund your project, plus lots of support along the way.
- You might decide to create visual art through painting or photography.
- Maybe music, poetry or dance are more your thing?
- How about transforming a space in your community?
- Or even designing your own fashion collection?
The possibilities are endless…pick something you enjoy doing, involve other people and let your imagination run riot!
Previous projects have involved around 100 people each, through events, performances and gatherings.
Spoiler alert! You’ll need a supporting organisation to receive the funding on your behalf (more information coming below…)
Don’t forget…it’s all about native UK plants and/or fungi, so make them the star of the show.
It’s time to apply…
Step 1: Come up with your creative idea
- Don’t forget… it is all about UK native plants and fungi. Use this theme as imaginatively as you can. Do something different that people will notice! Read our page about why fungi matter or scroll through our wildflower gallery for inspiration.
- Get friends involved – choose something you’re all excited about.
- Where and when will your idea happen?
- What will you need to make it happen?
- Show others what you have done. How? By holding an event or celebration, make a film, run social media campaign, or something else we haven’t thought of…
- Important: Remember you’ll need permission from the landowner if your project involves any activity taking place in a public area.
Step 2: Find your Supporting Organisation
- You must nominate a youth, community or education-focused organisation to receive the £500 on your behalf. For example, a school or college, youth club or community theatre group.
Money cannot be placed in personal bank accounts or private business bank accounts.
- The person who told you about the funding may be able to help you, or help you think of an organisation in your community that you can ask for help.
- There is more information and guidance for Supporting Organisations here.
- Once you’ve found a person and organisation to support you, get them to read the Guidance for Supporting Organisations so they know what’s expected of them.
Step 3: Make your short video application
Your video should be no longer than two minutes. Seriously, two minutes!
It doesn’t have to be filmed on a fancy camera. You can use your smart phone. It can be as simple or complex as you want, but make sure the information is clear.
Use the checklist below to make sure you’ve included everything we need to know:
- Give your project a name.
- Tell us your idea and why you want to do it.
- How will it celebrate UK native plants and/or fungi?
- Where will you do it, who will help and what they will do?
- How will you share what you have achieved or learnt with others?
- What will you use the £500 for?
This could include any materials or equipment you need, promotional information, refreshments, venue hire or workshops.
Important: Grow Wild funding cannot be used to pay yourself a salary or wage.
When your film is ready, upload it to a video hosting site such as YouTube or Vimeo and include the link in your application.
Important: Always upload your video to a private account and only share the link with people who need to see it. If you or any young people in the video application are under 18, a parent/guardian must give consent for taking part.
Step 4: Complete your application
Fill in the online form, including the link to your video application.
- Remember to give contact details for you and your Supporting Organisation. Get your person at the Supporting Organisation to help and make sure that their information is correct – this will save time if your application is successful.
- We will contact you and your nominated person at the Supporting Organisation in all communications about your application and project.
- If you are under 18 years old, please make sure that you have permission from your parent or guardian to do your project and to make and send your application video.
- After you apply, applications are assessed by a panel of young people, who will decide which projects receive funding.
If your application is successful and we receive all the information required from you and your Supporting Organisation, you’ll have the money and can start your project in May.
- You’ll need to finish your project by October 2020.
Mulling over an idea? Got some questions?
Call or text Chloe on 07826 873 421, or call 020 8332 3759 or email [email protected] (Mon-Fri).
Aged 18-25 and from London? Or got a friend who is? Find out about our London exhibition.