Oyster Mushroom Tacos
Taco-chance on these healthy, fun, colourful, veggie tacos, full of unique flavour combinations. Seasoned, lightly crisped Oyster mushrooms, with their meaty texture, make for a great filling and complement the smashed avo and homemade salsa delightfully. With the addition of a tangy lemon tahini dressing and juicy pomegranate seeds, these tacos are a perfect Spring / Summer treat.
6 - Crunchy corn taco shells
(or if preferred 6 - Small soft corn tortillas)
6 - Oyster mushrooms
1 small - Pomegranate (seeds)
1 tbsp - Nigella seeds
1 tbsp - Olive oil
¼ small bunch - Coriander (roughly chopped)
¼ tsp - Cumin
¼ tsp - Paprika
¼ tsp - Garlic powder
¼ tsp - Onion Powder
A pinch of salt and pepper (to taste)
(Alternatively, you can usually find a pretty good premixed taco seasoning in most supermarkets!)
1 - Avocado
½ - Lemon (juice)
1 - Tomato
1 - Red Pepper
¼ - Red chilli pepper
½ - Red onion
¼ small bunch - Coriander
1 clove - Garlic
1 - Lime (juice)
A pinch of salt and black pepper
½ - Lemon (juice)
4 tbsp - Tahini
4 tbsp - Water
¼ tsp - Salt
¼ tsp - Pepper
1. Smashed avo - In a medium size bowl, mash your avocado using a fork to the desired consistency.
Add a pinch of salt and your lemon juice and give it a good stir. Put aside.
2. Salsa - Wash and dice tomatoes and red peppers. Peel and finely cut onion, peel and mince garlic and chilli. In a bowl combine all of the ingredients with the roughly chopped coriander, lime juice, salt and pepper (or garlic pepper salt). Mix well and put to one side.
3. Tahini dressing - Whisk lemon juice, water and tahini in a small bowl until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a small/medium nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat. Add your roughly chopped Oyster mushrooms, cook until brown, mix in your seasonings and continue to cook until lightly crispy.
5. To assemble the tacos, evenly distribute your seasoned mushroom slices in the centre of your taco shells, followed by 1-2 tbsp of smashed avocado, a large tbsp of salsa, then sprinkle with fresh, roughly chopped coriander and pomegranate seeds. Drizzle over your tacos with the tahini dressing and top this with a sprinkle of nigella seeds. Serve immediately.